Reminder: New DOB Penalty Sheet and Fine Reduction Goes Into Effect on Wednesday 5/10
We previously wrote about how the DOB now has control over setting ECB-related penalties, and a new schedule is going into effect next week. Tucked into this update was a new rule about cutting fines in half for corrected DOB-ECB violations that were in default. What does it all mean for your properties?
- The DOB can rule on and publish penalty schedules directly, which may mean more frequently updated fine amounts.
- Named respondents on defaulted violations who a) submit an acceptable Certificate of Correction, which is then b) forwarded to the ECB by the DOB will pay a 50% reduced penalty
- This does not apply to daily penalties for specific violations, or civil penalties
There are still a number of questions that the DOB has yet to answer:
- When and how will named respondents be notified of the reduced penalty?
- Will the reduction take place as a refund, or in advance of payment?
- Is there a deadline to file the Certificate of Correction to take advantage of the reduced penalty?
Don’t Miss Out on
Critical Compliance Changes!
Stay up to date on real estate news, critical compliance changes, and industry-wide best practices.
Enter your email here and we’ll contact you right away!